- SRM Color : 20
- Brewer: Brouwerij Het Anker
- Brewer's Description: Thirty-eight years we had to miss the Christmas beer but in 2002 the tradition was restored with Gouden Carolus Christmas. It’s a strong, dark ruby red beer with character and contains an alcohol percentage of 10.5 % VOL. Brewed in August, the beer rests a few months to reach an optimal balance. Three kinds of hops and six different kinds of herbs and spices define the rich taste of this Christmas beer. Top-class!
- Recommended Glassware: A Tulip
- Russ' rating: 8.5 of 10
- With the brew: Learning New Things About An Old Favorite
- Comments: I am a fan of this brewery, and have a few of their products in my cellar for special occasions. This brew pours darker and slightly more viscous than I had anticipated. The head was of slightly smaller than normal bubbles ( < 0.5mm ) and dissipated fairly quickly. However there is a lovely lacing on the glass to mark your progress. The aroma is sweet and strong with heavy notes of licorice or anise. The mouthfeel is lighter that you would expect, and slightly bitter like the licorice nose, and leaves a sweet aftertaste.
Do you agree? Do you think I completely missed on this one? Feel free to leave a comment below, give me a +1, or "Like" my post!