- SRM Color : 17
- Brewer: Boulevard Brewing Co.
- Brewer's Description: Based loosely on the Smokestack Series’ The Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel is separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels where it ages for varying lengths of time, some for up to three years. Cherries are added to make up for the “angel's share” of beer lost during barrel aging. Selected barrels are then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore. Like the 2010 edition, 2013 Bourbon Barrel Quad is 100% barrel-aged. The length of aging time ranged from eight months to two years using a combination of first-use and second-use oak bourbon barrels. The relative newness of the barrels resulted in a beer that is more oak-forward than previous releases. The tart cherry characteristics, while still subtly present, take a backseat to the warm, earthy qualities of the barrels.
- Recommended Glassware: A Tulip
- Russ' rating: 10 of 10
- With the brew: The Greatest Place On Earth
- Comments: I have been waiting a long time to get my hands on some of this beer. Bourbon Barrel Quad is a local legend. Not only does its name form the acronym for Kansas City's greatest export, BBQ, it possibly Boullevard's most highly regarded beer. That is high praise indeed for the brewery that also makes Reverb, Dark Truth Stout, Bob's 47, and Love Child. The beer pours a lovely copper penny color with a honey colored head made of average ( 0.5mm - 0.7mm ) bubbles. The nose is sweet and oaky with a hint of fruit. The ale drinks smooth and regal. There is a subtle vanilla and cherry flavor that carries the big oak taste at the front of the sip, and that same subtle sweetness finishes with a warming heat as you swallow. It is not up to me to determine if a beer is a "white whale", but the few extra bottles I cellared will be very dear, and special.
Do you agree? Do you think I completely missed on this one? Feel free to leave a comment below, give me a +1, or "Like" my post!